27 tracks - MP3 192 Kbps - RAR 157 Mb
The French Reformation yielded a large, distinguished and (most of all) varied body of music to suit the new requirements of the Protestant faith, ranging from simple, chorale-like Psalm settings (in Clement Marot’s beautiful translations into the vernacular) to more complex polyphony setting moralising texts. It also takes in well-known secular songs whose texts have been suitably adapted to suit a sacred purpose. (The juxtaposition of the old and new versions is particularly amusing, since the ensemble has already recorded most of those chosen here using original texts: so, for instance, Lassus’s Quant mon mari vient de dehors becomes Quant mon mari s’en va dehors, and the unhappily married young woman is transformed into a devoted and devout housewife.)
It is good that an ensemble of this calibre takes up the cause of this music, so much of it very fine, but which is all too often identified solely with its provenance. The Janequins sing with a fervour and seriousness that may surprise those who associate them with their more theatrical or scurrilous repertories; and it goes without saying that enacting the text remains a central concern. As so often on the group’s most recent recordings, the contribution of the instrumentalists (though more understated than on their previous, Gramophone Award-winning disc of Spanish secular music – Harmonia Mundi, 4/98) is telling and effective, their solo interventions cleansing the ear with welcome regularity.
That brings me to another striking aspect of this disc, the effectiveness of its programming: clearly sectionalised yet varied, generous yet well balanced, it seldom allows the attention to flag (though a couple of the settings of the humourless, heavy-handed Octonaires de la vanite du monde seem to lack the impetus so richly in evidence elsewhere). One gets the impression that only lack of space prevented Visse from mining the repertory further still: at 79 minutes, this is indeed a generous offering, and not to be missed.
1. Paschal de Lestocart - Reveillez Vous Chacun Fidele
2. Claude Le Jeune - Du Fond De Ma Pensee
3. Nicolas Vallet - Onse Vader Ins Hemelryck
4. Claude Goudimel - Apres Avoir Constamment Attendu
5. Paschal de Lestocart - Estans Assis Aux Rives Aquatiques
6. Clément Janequin - Dont Vient Cela
7. Clément Janequin - Mon Dieu Me Paist
8. Clément Janequin - Jusques A Quand
9. Clément Janequin - Veu Que Du Tout
10. Pierre Certon - O Bienheureux Celuy
11. Loys Bourgeois - Las, En Ta Fureur Aigue
12. Claude Goudimel - Estans Assis Aux Rives Aquatiques
13. Roland de Lassus - Quand Mon Mar S'en Va Dehors
14. Roland de Lassus - J'ayme Mon Diue
15. Roland de Lassus - Fuyons Des Vices Le Jeu
16. Claudin De Sermisy - Tant Que Vivray En Aege Florisant
17. Eustache du Caurroy - Dix-Huictieme Fantaisie
18. Benedictus Appenzeller - Du Fons De Ma Pensee
19. Claude Le Jeune - O Dieu, Je N'ay Dieu Fors Que Toy
20. Claude Le Jeune - Helas Mon Dieu
21. Eustache du Caurroy - Vingtieme Fantaisie Sur Le Ps.
22. Nicolas Vallet - A Ton Bras Droit
23. Eustache du Caurroy - Dix-Septieme Fantasie
24. Eustache du Caurroy - Octonaires De La Vanite Et Inconstance Du Monde
25. Paschal de Lestocart - Je Vis Un Jour
26. Paschal de Lestocart - Celuy Qui Pense Pouvoir
27. Paschal de Lestocart - Ou Est La Mort?
Ensemble Clement Janequin